Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Faith Through the Storms

"The disciples woke him up, shouting, 'Master, Master we're going to drown!' So Jesus rebuked the wind and the raging waves. The storm stopped and all was calm!"
-Luke 8:24


A lot of times I just feel like my life is a storm. Just this crazy mess of everything and yet nothing all at the same time. I feel like I try so hard to figure out what my purpose is here on this earth, but I end up feeling rushed, frustrated, confused and a little bit empty because I don't feel accomplished. When I try to figure out what it is that God wants me to do with the rest of my life I just end up uber stressed. I like to be in control, but God's got it. It is so easy for me to tell other people to just trust in His perfect and good plan for their life, but for me to actually put it into practice in my own life is a different story. Sometimes I do good, but when I start looking ahead, I panic and try to take the wheel away from God.

Do I just be an elementary teacher, or should I pursue a master's degree and be a college professor? If I am an elementary teacher, do I go where I feel safe and teach at CVC or do I go where I feel my heart being pulled and teach in an inner-city somewhere? If I do college, should I do English or something like American Sign Language or Spanish? God, I've been single for what feels like forever. Part of me is fine with that, but it panics me to see many of my friends engaged or in serious relationships.

Different little storms tend to show up in life, and those are just a few that end up in my head. It may not be an actual storm like the disciples experienced in Luke, but it is the same concept. That storm rocked the boat that those disciples were in and they panicked. They woke Jesus up and he immediately calmed the storm and then turned around and asked them, "Where is your faith?"

My life is the same way. All of these little things rock the boat that I'm in, but God is at the head of the ship and he's also the One who controls the storm. Time and time again when I find myself trying to figure things out I hear him saying, "Where is your faith?" In You, O God, I will place my trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment