Monday, April 11, 2011

When Strangers Become Friends

I'm sitting here in the Fresno State library (yes, I'm a poser...I don't actually go to Fresno State. No one knows that though.) and my favorite part of the library is being able to just sit here and watch people. People fascinate me. Here there are people from literally every walk of life and it's intriguing to me how unique everyone really is. People from different cities, states and countries all in one building.

Not only do I love watching the individuals, but I love watching how they interact with each other in groups. People are brought together through classes, group projects, sports, sororities and fraternities, dorms, church, you name it. To me, that's the beauty of college: being able to witness and be a part of when strangers become friends. You can learn so much about God's creation when you interact with people outside of your typical social norm. I think that's a great thing - and you don't have to agree with the differences or change your beliefs, but I think that there's a lot of good that can come out of being exposed to the differences among people. Not conformity, but when strangers become friends it opens the door for love.

For Christians especially, I think we should take hold of all of these open doors and use these opportunities to show Christ's love. Those differences shouldn't cause us to become lukewarm Christians, but instead to live openly for Christ and let our light shine in hopes that they will know we are Christians by our love.

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." -Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment