Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gaining Trust

If there's anything I've learned over the past few days, it's that trust is a hard thing to gain. It can be lost in an instant, but to get it back...that's a whole other story.

My job responsibilities at FPU have changed a little bit. Instead of working at the front desk, I now am an assistant to the admissions advisers. In a nutshell I follow up with new students, or with students who have maybe slipped between the cracks to see if they're still interested in applying to DC and if there's any questions that I can answer for them regarding the application process. In a sense, I'm the mediator and the filter because our advisers are SO busy. Plus, a situation happened and now I'm doing some clean up work as a lot of students in a certain area haven't been taken care of as well as they should have been. Anyway, I started that new job this week and I've only made about 15 phone calls or so to check up on students, but many of them have said things like, "I haven't heard from anyone in a long time..thank you so much for calling." or "They canceled on me and I never heard back from anyone....that really concerns me about your university." The first comment makes me sad, but happy because I feel like I'm genuinely helping them...the 2nd comment makes me sad, but it also makes me think.

"...that really concerns me," makes me realize that in a sense, we've lost some of their trust. It makes me realize that my role in this new job is to regain that trust and I know that that's not always the easiest thing to do. Even though I might not always feel like calling the students (I hate talking on the phone...I'm so awkward), I know that my phone call has the capability of playing a HUGE role in being able to regain trust with that student.

Another example, when a boy's mom leaves him or hurts or a girl's dad does one of those things, that boy or girl will take that pain and transfer it into their relationships with other people someday-especially their girlfriends/boyfriends/wife/husband. And you want to say "JUST TRUST ME!" but I know that it's not that easy. I know that it takes a lot to get back whatever that person took away from them. We're human and we're fallen and it's in our nature to screw up and present ourselves as untrustworthy and it's unfortunate sometimes.

But how awesome is it that we have every reason to fully put our trust in God? He will never do anything to hurt us or break that trust. It's hard because in our humanity we can't see what he sees. We can't see that our current trials will bring blessings and joys down the road, or that certain hardships are just molding us into who he wants us to be for his glory. It's still hard to trust in God because it's in our nature to doubt, but unlike some people, God will never leave us or forsake us. The Bible is filled with the word "trust," especially the Psalms. I thought I'd leave you with just a few verses.

"Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you." -Psalm 9:10
"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation." -Psalm 13:5
"The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple." -Psalm 19:7
"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." -Psalm 28:7

No comments:

Post a Comment