Friday, January 1, 2010

A Scatter-Brained New Year

Happy "Twenty-ten!" It's crazy to think that another year has come and gone. It's also crazy to reflect back on this past year at all of the things that have happened. Today I had praise team practice for church, but during practice I realized something: I was actually having fun. Why? Because I wasn't the one in charge of the service!!! Exactly one year ago, I had jumped on board at my church to be the "worship mediator," for lack of a better term. I tell ya what...it was a roller coaster 8 months working in that position. For the most part, I hated it at the time; however, today I was stuck in the middle of being so glad that I was done with the job and of being a little bit sad because I missed a lot of the people that I worked with at church.

That thought led me to another train of thought...I feel like I spend too much of my time looking back at things that have already happened or looking forward and trying to plan my life and what is to come. I need to stop and I need to live in the now. Not only that, but I need to enjoy it as well. Time flies and I have to embrace the position that I'm in right now. Obviously other people struggle with this too, as I can think of at least 3 songs off of the top of my head that relate to this topic. "Don't Blink"-Kenny Chesney, "You're Gonna Miss This"-Trace Adkins and "Every Moment"-Joy Williams.

A year ago, I had just permanently moved back home from BIOLA and I was kind of regretting my decision at the time. Now I'm going to school at FPU and I'm absolutely loving it. I couldn't be happier where I'm at right now (I still miss my BU friends, of course.) There's a season for everything and God's got purpose and meaning for everything that happens. I hope to trust in that more firmly this upcoming year as well.

And one more "a year ago." A year ago, "ring by spring" was kind of a joke. Now: I'm not laughing. So far, on average, every week at least 2 people I know are getting engaged. And not to each other. It's more contagious than H1N1. I'll let you know when it catches me. That might not be for a while though--as in yearssssss.

And now for the resolutions. Yes, that's a plural. These are in no particular order or fashion.

1. No more soda. (I've done it before, but I returned to my addiction the following year.)
2. Exercise more. (I know this is everyone else's, but really...I don't have high school sports to keep me in shape anymore. It's kind of unfortunate.)
3. Run another half marathon this year. (Good news: I did one last year, which means this CAN be achieved!)
4. Become a better Christ-follower, especially when it comes to reading his Word.
5. Wear cute pajamas more often instead of just sweats and a tee shirt. (Idk, I read it on some website and it inspired me. I literally said, "yeah!!!!" out loud when I read it.)
6. Read for pleasure, not for school.
7. Take more risks. Live in the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment